Pages are very important in a Website. The way of adding pages to a WordPress website is the same as posts. But pages are different from posts. Pages are static while posts are not. We will discuss everything about pages in this article. And in this tutorial, I will show you how to add a page in WordPress.
Before going to tell you about how to create a new page in WordPress. I have to give you some helpful guide about pages. Pages have the type of content that does not change from time to time like posts.
For example, if you publish a post, so you have to update your post with new content from time to time to stay at the top in the google search results. But pages are different because you don’t need to update your pages on daily basis.
There are a lot of popular page builders that you can use to create beautiful pages for your WordPress Website. I already have an article about the best page builders that you should see.
So, let’s go to the main topic:
In this guide, I will tell you two methods to add a new page on a WordPress website:
- How to Add a New Page in WordPress (without any page builder plugins)
- How to Add a Page in WordPress using Elementor Page Builder
So, as said let’s see:
1. How to Add a New Page in WordPress:
- First of all, go and log in to your WordPress Dashboard.
2. At your WordPress Dashboard, go to the Pages section and click on Add New button. As shown in the image below:
3. After clicking on Add New button, this page will appear as below in the image:
Here we add our page content. By default, WordPress uses the Gutenberg page editor in 2021. Gutenberg is a brand new editor for WordPress. The older versions of WordPress, it has a visual editor. But now Gutenberg is a new page editor with a lot of features and is easy to use.
Gutenberg page editor consists of content blocks that we use to write our content.
If you ever used Microsoft word then you will understand this quickly. In the above image, there are some specific tools that we are going to use to build our first page. And after creating a new page, we’ll publish it. So, let’s go ahead.
Add a Page Title in WordPress
4. First thing that you need to do is add a title to your page. To do this click the cursor and type your page title and press enter. Let’s suppose our page title is About Us. See the image below:
After that, click on Save draft at the top right.
Note: Don’t ever click on publish button. When our page will complete then we click on publish button to publish our page.
Our Page Title uses an H1 heading. That’s why we can’t use the H1 heading on our page. It has been reserved for the page title.
Working with Content Blocks
Now here we work with content blocks. Blocks are everything in the page editor. See how? let’s suppose we want to add a list to our page. For the list, we need a list block.
5. Now, click on the ‘+’ button at the top left corner. And in the blocks tab, find a List block. As you can see in the image below:
In the TEXT section, a List is located. Click on that.
After clicking on the list, a list block will add to your page. Then you can create a list. I have added some text to the list as you can see:
Here are some more things that you should know. There is a sidebar on the right side of the editor. You can hide or show that sidebar by clicking on the setting icon button at the top right corner. In that sidebar, there are two tabs page and block.
The block section in the sidebar shows the settings of every block on which you are working. For example, if you are using an image block to add images to your page then there will be image settings. Right now we are using a list block so there are some settings for lists.
If you want to change your list font size, colors or you want to add some classes then you can do that in the block section at the right sidebar. As you saw in the above image.
By the way, there is another quick way to add blocks. Let’s suppose I want to add an image to my page. For this purpose, click on the plus button, shown on the page. And search the block name then click on the image block.
So, I hope you have understood the content blocks.
How to Publish a Page in WordPress
I have added some text paragraphs to my page. Now I want to publish it. Before going to publish our page. Go to the Page tab in the sidebar. And see some important settings. Let’s see.
In the above image, see step by step settings
- Status & Visibility: This is about who has permission to see your page. There are three options, public, private, and password protected. The public means everyone can see your page or post. Private means only for subscribers. Password-protected pages can see only those who have a password.
- Publish: It has two options immediately and schedules. With this option, you can schedule your page. The page will automatically be published when the date will come.
- Permalink: It is the URL of your page. It will show in the address bar of your browser when someone will visit your page. You can change your page URL.
- Featured Image: This option is for a featured image. The featured image is your page thumbnail. This represents your content. Every page or post has only one featured image.
- Discussion: With this option, you can allow or disallow comments on your page.
- In the end, there will be your theme options. Whenever we change our WordPress theme, the new options show. All themes have their own features.
Preview Page Before Publishing
Before publishing the page in WordPress. You have the option to preview your page first. That is located at the top right beside publish button. By using this option you can check, how your page will look after publishing.
After checking your page preview.
Now, you can publish your page. By clicking on publish button.
Congratulations you have to create and published your first page in WordPress.
2. How to Add a Page in WordPress using Elementor Page Builder
The one and the only requirement for this is the Elementor plugin. You will have to install an Elementor Plugin on your WordPress. For this purpose, you can see how to install the WordPress Plugins guide. The method of adding a page through Elementor is quite different from the first one.
If you have installed and activated the Elementor plugin on your WordPress website. Then go ahead:
- At your WordPress Dashboard, go to the Pages section and click on Add New button:
2. Nowhere, click on Edit with Elementor button located at the top of the page. As shown in the image below:
Remember if you don’t have that button showing at the top, you don’t have the Elementor plugin installed.
3. Here in the image below you can see the beautiful drag-and-drop Elementor page builder.
You can create, edit and publish your page live. There is just a header and footer on your page. All the content goes in between this.
Elementor is very easy to use. Like the Gutenberg page editor, Elementor has its own content blocks or we can say widgets instead of content blocks. On the right side of the page builder, there are hundreds of widgets that you can drag and drop on your page.
Add Some Content to the Page
2. Now, click on the + button located in the center of the page. After clicking, there will show a structure. You can select which type of layout you want to add to your page. 1 column, 2 columns, 3 columns, or 4 columns. You can do it by simply clicking on it.
I added 3 columns to my page. The columns will look like this below:
You can customize these columns through settings located on the left side. Now you can click on plus signs on all columns to add content in these columns.
I have added text blocks in these columns by simply dragging and dropping.
By clicking on any column, you can edit your content. You can edit the text in the left-side editor or by clicking on the text on the page. So, you can add more columns to your page by using the plus button. You can create a beautiful page for your website by using Elementor widgets.
After creating your page in Elementor. You can publish your page by clicking on the green publish button located at the bottom of your page builder.
Now you have learned how to add a page in WordPress. I hope you understood well.
If you have any questions related to this topic then you can ask in the comment section below. Thank you for reading this whole article. I’ll respect your feedback about this article.